Sunday, January 6, 2008

Definitions of Knitting Terms with How To Instructions

Hi Girls - it's me again. Kelly's question about twist one knit in her cable pattern for decreases got me searching on the web for the answer. I found a great website with all kinds of tables and charts to help knitters - there are often several abbreviations for the same stitch or technique. One of the charts gives knitting abbreviations - with columns to tell you what the abbreviation means and another column giving the instruction on how to execute the stitch or direction. Check out the left side - there is a huge amount of useful information on this website. We'll get this one posted but for now here's the URL. I don't know how to turn it in to a hot link so for now you'll have to copy and paste into your browser.

http://www.knittingfool.com/pages/abbrev.cfm?StartRow=1&PageNum=1

3 comments:

Patti said...

Great website Pam. I find that today's patterns contain a lot of abbreviations that I'm not use to.

Another great link for instructions with pictures is
http://www.knitsimplemag.com/

Maybe Barb can put these links on the list.

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for looking that up for me Pam. I guess I could have gone looking on the web as well. Sorry if I caused you an inconvenience! I'm so excited to be trying different things. It's so much more fun than doing what you know how to do as a beginner. I really feel like I'm coming into my own!
Kelly

Pam Hand said...

It was not trouble at all Kelly - it's my natural instinct to research something like this - and I learn a lot in the search. I think this website is going to be very helpful. Sounds like you're really into this and that is a great thing!